A Complete Guide To Remaining Safe From Chinese Scam Calls
Chinese scam calls take advantage of people all over the United States. It appears the call was made from a legitimate number like the Chinese consulate. Many people believe these calls are legitimate because they are in Chinese. In some cases, the person will be asked for personal information including their address, social security number, name and age. This enables the scammer to create an arrest warrant that looks real. The person is then told they must wire in money or they will be removed from the United States.
Not Becoming a Victim
These calls are targeting individuals in Chinese communities. According to AARP, most victims are Pacific Islanders or Asian Americans above the age of fifty. An average of $15,000 was lost by one third of these people. It is critical to understand governments and legitimate organizations will not ask for money when an issue arises or ask for personal details on the phone. When this type of call is received, it is important to conduct some research. It is not difficult or time consuming to find out if the call was a fake. Do not give the caller any personal information or money.
The Steps to Follow Once the Person has Been Scammed
- Contact the bank to stop the transaction. When gift cards were used, contact the issuer. Call the FBI or the local police to file a report.
- Join the National Do Not Call Registry. This will prevent numerous robocalls. Once a name is on this registry, it is illegal for robocallers to place a call. Once the number has been on the Do Not Call Registry for 31 days, unwanted sales calls can be reported.
- If the phone is answered and the person hears a recording, simply hang up the phone. Do not push any buttons as instructed by the recording. This is a scammer trick to identify live targets. Once the scammer knows the number is good, the number of calls will increase as time passes.
- Find out if there is a service available to block robocalls through the provider. The website for the FCC has resources, information and tools available to block robocalls. This will help decrease the number of calls received.
- A wide variety of call blocking apps can be downloaded and installed on smartphones. Many of these apps are available at no charge. This will effectively block most robocalls.
- The majority of phone companies enable the person to block any number that does not appear on caller ID. The provider can instruct the individual as to how this feature is activated. It is important to note no blocked calls will go through even if it is coming from someone the person knows.
- The easiest and simplest solution is to not answer any call that does not appear on caller ID or is from an unknown number. If the call was important, the individual can simply leave a message to return their call.